NEW YORK CITY ATTORNEY
A MESSAGE FROM DOUGLAS M. COLBERT
'For 35 years I have answered thousands of telephone calls from people looking for the best legal advice because of my vast legal experience. Since I know the law and listen to you with compassion to understand your facts, I figure out the best solutions for your legal problems. We then personally prepare every part of your case in our office with you to obtain the results you have a right to expect!'
'For those reasons many of our clients are referred to me from the referral services of the local bar associations, other attorneys, part time judges, doctors, authors, dentists, mental health professionals, priests, rabbis, other clergy, police, peace officers, court personnel, military referral services , leaders of not-for-profit artistic, cultural and civic organizations and more. Our clients come from a vast array of nationalities, educations, ethnic groups, languages, religions, age groups, professions and employment.' - Douglas M. Colbert
Since he was born, raised and educated in New York City Douglas M. Colbert is thoroughly familiar with the New York legal system and the legal problems facing New Yorkers.
Earlier in his career, while working for the New York City Corporation Counsel's Office, Douglas M. Colbert helped the City of New York win the fight to require expiration dates on milk containers and clean up the midtown theatre district.
Mr. Colbert was part of the legal team that successfully won monetary damages in a suit on behalf of a 20-year-old college student who suffered cerebral palsy caused by the doctor's delivery at birth.
He has acted as a legal consultant to such TV talk shows as 'Ricky Lake' and 'Phil Donahue' concerning family law topics. He has also been interviewed many times by TV-news broadcasters concerning family law issues.
Mr. Colbert was part of the legal team that successfully won one of the early cases for monetary damages against a Hollywood celebrity for assaulting a daily newspaper photographer.
He was part of the legal team that won damages on behalf of a severely depressed patient who was allowed to intentionally injure herself while receiving treatment from a hospital.
He has represented clients in airplane crashes, automobile, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents, construction accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, injuries caused by adulterated and spoiled foods, dental and hospital malpractice.
- 1974, New York; 1975, U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- 1978, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit; 1979, United States Supreme Court
- J.D., Brooklyn Law School, 1972
- B.B.A. Hunter College, Bernard M. Baruch College of the City University of New York
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York; New York State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Member, U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla
- Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternal Organization
- Brotherhood of Teamsters, AF of L - CIO
Activities & achievements:
- Campaign Staff Writer and Media Coordinator, Hon. Hugh L. Carey, Governor New York State
- Listed in: Who's Who in America; Who's Who in American Law.
- Former Honor Law Clerk, New York City Corporation Counsel's Office
- Former Honor Law Intern, New York County District Attorney's Office
- Former New York County Civil Court Arbitrator
- Panel Member, Family Law, Legal Referral Service, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Former Panel Member, King's County 18-b Family and Criminal Courts
- Former Guest Judge-Yale University mock trial competitions
- Former Special Investigator - Election Frauds, New York State Department of Law
- Participant, New York State Continuing Legal Education Program for Lawyers
- Attorney, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- Licensed Real Estate Broker, State of New York.
Languages: English, Spanish and Dutch (Korean, Chinese & French by appointment)